With more donors than ever going mobile, it is essential to optimize your campaign pages for mobile devices. Text-to-Donate is a perfect way to engage donors and create a seamless giving process that can be done from their favorite device.
How it Works
- Tell your donors to text (202) 858-1233 with a shortcode of your choice
- Donors will receive a link to donate instantly via text
- You can set as many shortcodes as you need
- Can be linked to any Givebutter campaign, including Collect (website donations), Fundraise (team fundraising), and Events (ticketing)
How to set up Text-to-Donate
1. Navigate to your Dashboard sidebar and below the word "Campaigns,” select your desired campaign.
2. Within your campaign, click the Sharing tab, and scroll down to the “Text-to-Donate” field.
3. Type your shortcode in the “Campaign short code” field. This will be the word that donors type in order to be sent to your Campaign page.
4. Click “save” below your text code.
Note: The code you choose must not be in use by any other Givebutter partners. It must be unique. We will alert you if the code that you entered is invalid or taken. This means codes such as “donate” are likely unavailable. It helps to have a code related to your organization or event
5. Test your code by texting you shortcode to (202) 858-1233. You should receive a response that brings you to your campaign page
Here are some best practices for choosing a short code:
- Keep your code short, clear, and simple
- Do not use codes that are long or hard to spell. The more time a donor spends typing a code, the more likely it is for spelling mistakes to occur
- Keep auto-correct in mind. If you are using abbreviations, or a code unique to your organization or event, make sure that smartphones do not auto-correct the code by default
High-five! Text-to-Donate is ready to go. Now what?
Here are some other tips to help you engage your audience with Text-to-Donate:
- Have a dedicated call to action at your in-person or virtual event. Dedicate a chunk of time to verbally captivating your audience’s attention and encourage them to take out their phones and donate.
- Make sure your code is easy to say. If you announce it to the group, it needs to be clear and simple enough for the audience to understand
- Make your code visible. If you event is in a large venue, put signage on the walls or televisions, or business cards on tables that include your shortcode and phone number for donors to text
- Update the audience on the progress to your goal. Are you only $5,000 away from hitting your goal? Tell your audience how close you are and discuss the importance of hitting your goal. Everyone wants to be the donor that fills up the goal bar, let them know about your progress so they have a chance to do so!
- Don’t be shy. Your audience is attending your event because they want to support your cause. Even if they paid for a ticket, it is quite common for organizations to ask for additional donations at the event itself. People want to help!
Text-to-Donate can be used with all of Givebutter's campaigns: